Monday, August 19, 2013

Chinese father

Chinese mothers are known as their tough teaching style and "Chinese mother" has become a word to describe a parent who are crazy about to let his or her children to be perfect and successful. This issue has been debated seriously for years, especially in western world. Western parents cannot believe why Chinese mothers control their children a lot, they give their children a growth schedule. Children should follow that schedule otherwise their parents will get angry. However, I am not surprised about that because I have a "Chinese father".
        I have never seen my father's smile since I had the memory about him. He set a time schedule for studying to us, even on the weekend from I studied in kindergarten. I could not see any TV programs at night, for us night is a studying time, we should have studied instead of doing other things. On the weekend, he cut a day into three parts, morning, afternoon and night. We had to spend two of them to study as well. That is horrible, isn't it. That is a wrong concept in Chinese culture. They think how long you stay in front of the desk means how hard you are. If you cannot get a good score in this exam, you have to spend more time to study. I was growing up in this situation, and I think I was studying for my father not for myself.
        The only difference between my father and "Chinese mother" is he have never asked me to learn other instruments or talents. He wanted me to learn skills for real life. I had to learn how to deal with my life by myself. For example, I could not use wash machine for my clothes for six years in my elementary school. I had to wash clothes by hands every day after school. Moreover, I had to learn how to fix house problems, such as fixing faucet, connecting wires and repairing stuff. He told me these things are small but essential, so it is important to learn before I need.

        To be honestly, I did not like my father before, he is too strict, stubborn and serous. However, when I was getting older enough, I think maybe he was right. I used many skills that are taught by him to solve problems by myself. Moreover, I could enter better school to get good education is because of his push. Maybe I will not give the same pressure to my child as he gave me, but I will do something like him to teach my child to be independent.

No comments:

Post a Comment